Sunday 27 January 2013

Change, without boiling the frog

Over a few placements, and in other contexts, I have witnessed, thought and and been involved in the implementation of change. (In the latter case, it has been small, bit small can be significant).

I know change is inevitable in life, universe and everything. I think how I couldn't dream of not having a phone that wasn't also a pedometer, internet browser, email client, book etc, etc. But with it, I have 'outsourced' my memory, as I no longer need to remember phone numbers.

I used to watch VHS (no, I never had beta max, though do remember it), then DVDs, now a mix of DVDs and blue rays. Pretty soon most of the films I watch may be via video streaming.

I've given up work to study, which is a huge change, but great privilege (especially as someone else is paying the bills!).

Yet I know change has to be managed well. Let people know why it needs to happen; get them on board and take them with you, rather than imposing it. That said, I do know there are times where it might just be me poking my head above the parapet and praying it's the right course of action.

I also can see how change could be done in a sort of drip, drip, drip fashion. A little bit here, a subtle flip there, a move over there. Before they knew it, where things had started and where they'd got to were totally different. So long as people didn't get totally boiled, like frogs...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!