Tuesday 29 January 2013

To a degree

The provisional results for my honours classes (aka, the ones which count towards my degree classification) are out. There in line with what I was expecting, which is good. They won't be confirmed till after they have been externally verified, come June time, though I don't see them changing too much.

I definitely seem to be doing better than this time last time round. Maybe I'm older (and wiser?); maybe I've more accumulated knowledge, which sort of helps; maybe it's I'm working hard. Or maybe it's a combination of all three. Must admit, in the scheme of things I don't see my specific results as that important, more what I'm learning.

I'm learning how to examine details, draw opinions, present a case and develop an argument. I'm getting exposed to a range of theologies, giving me the tools to engage and explain things to others in a way I couldn't otherwise.

And occasionally I find ways of discussing beer in an academic context...how dock porters drunk a lot as the only way to get enough calories down their neck quickly and cheaply. Who'd have thought that knowledge would be useful in a divinity degree???

When it comes to the degree I'm honestly not too bothered what classification I get. It was a Desmond last time round (a 2:2), so that would be fine. I don't think a degree classification would (not should) define me as a minister, but who I am and how I use the education I have been given. After all, some of the brainiest people I know have few social skills or empathy.

I suppose what I am trying to say is this is all part of the package. There's a symbiosis between the practical and the academic  training. And that should last all the way through my ministry, though very much grounded in what I do during these degree years. They'll make a theologian of me yet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!