Monday 7 January 2013

Believing what I was taught

I get a daily bible reflection and prayer. It's short, but it makes me think (and I don't always agree with what's said), while ensuring I have some sort of regular devotional time.

Today's passage was 2 Timothy 3:14-17 and verse 14 especially struck home -"But as for you, continue in what you have learnt and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learnt it." This immediately made me think of all the people who influenced and taught me as a grew up; people within and outwith the church. Their teachings were always about love, not hate; inclusiveness, not exclusion; of questioning, not certainty. They have given me a certain moral standard, a certain way of looking at the world, a particular way of living out my faith. That, I know, both influences my theology and my attitudes to those without a Christian faith. Some would even describe me as a liberal because of this, but I hate labels. And, no matter how liberal and open minded a person is, there will always be the barrier, where they say 'no, I cannot sign up to that.'

So, if all a person has ever been taught and experienced is from a certain theology, do they accept what they are being told or begin to question it, in light of their experience and scripture reading? Or, are their congregations which would not tolerate questioning or have a hundred reasons that person was wrong (my challenge, in that circumstance, is to offer 101 reasons why I wasn't - it has happened). Even more, though, it makes me wonder if a person has been brought up a Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist are they really going to convert to Christianity? Surely, most people keep the faith they have been brought up in, especially where the predominant culture is influenced by that faith tradition? In that case, can they be saved? Are they part of God's salvation plan? I think so. That's what I was brought up with and what I think the overarching theme of scripture is. Because I know a God of love. Love will not exclude anyone. Love is patient and kind. Love will wait as long as it takes to bring humanity back to love. That is what I believe, because that is what I was taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!