Monday 6 August 2012

First and last

I lead the whole act of worship yesterday for the first and last time at Highland Cathedral. Generally, it went well, flowed and came together as a coherent unit.

Being the first time here I was really nervous, but tried to use that to my advantage, rather than let it use me. That paid off to a certain extent, though as I was preaching I did stumble over a couple of words. I know I did that a bit more than I usually do (it's not like me at all), but it was a bit like a tickly cough - annoying and the more I tried to deal with it, the more it happened. Just need to remember, if that happens, to take a deep breath, pause for a second and move on. I know from feedback from my supervisor he felt that most of the congregation would not have picked up on it, which is good as I would hate that it distracted from them hearing God's message, but I know I need to remain conscious that I try to get it right. Again, I know that will come with experience.

The preamble for the sermon was a little long. A member of the congregation mentioned that to me (as the one thing wrong - they thought everything else was spot on) and I felt that was very fair comment. Again, I know that was in part down to lack of experience. With more experience I would have had the confidence to cut part of my preamble, but didn't yesterday. Again, something to bear in mind when I preach.

 did use some 'Mrs Gerbilisms' - one was from my native region and another was mine. I sometimes combine two words or make up new ones, especially when nervous. The disturbing thing is, people still understand me! My supervisor just advised me that might be a problem if I went to a posh congregation in Edinburgh or Glasgow. I don't see that being a problem as I really do not feel called to either of those cities (I should be careful what I say - God may have other plans).

The children's address didn't go as I'd planned. No children were prepared to help me (which wasn't just me - they don't really do anything for my supervisor either, though they don't know me as well as they know him and I am aware that also has an impact). Because no children helped I was going to move on, but someone from the congregation, without prompting from me, got up to help. I took that all in my stride and adapted the activity to what had happened. The message still came across and the children (and congregation) seemed to enjoy it. I know it's good I was able to adapt well and cope with the changes. So, looks like children's addresses, which were my nemesis at my last placement, are now coming together well.

But all of this is being pedantic. It looks like I have a natural gift for leading worship, which is a wee bit handy for a ministry candidate! That said, I hope I never become complacent and begin to rely on my own skills and forget I must always rely on God and the gifts he has given me. I know the nerves I get before worship help to focus my mind and also remind me how important what I am about to do is.

2 comments:

  1. Stumbling over words happens, no matter how experienced you get - you will never get it right all the time and it is very liberating as preacher and worship leader to realise that it doesn't really matter because God will use us anyway.

    If you need a preamble to your sermon you could do it separately from the sermon itself. Sometimes I include a section in the service order called "Some words before The Word" and I do the preamble as a sort of wee introduction to the passage of scripture (immediately before it is read)and as a lead in to the angle I am planning to take in the sermon itself. This always seems to go down well and it helps people to focus in - both on the passage of scripture and the sermon topic.

    On children's talks, I am not a fan really and from what you have posted in the past I think the hang ups you have had about them have come from your supervisor(s). In my training, every supervisor had a different view of how the children's slot should be dealt with and none of them really fitted with how I wanted to do it. But we (as candidates) jump through the hoops in training in order to get all our boxes ticked. Now that I am in year 4 of parish ministry I am still not convinced of the value of "Children's Addresses" and I tend to go for an all age type thing (at the moment its called 'learning together'). This means I can use the 'slot' for a number of things - watching a video clip, learning a new hymn, giving an all age intro to the topic of the service, and sometimes I even do a 'traditional children's talk' if that seems appropriate. I suppose what I am trying to say is that you will adapt to the circumstances you find yourself in and there is no one way to engage with younger people in the congregation. If the CoS had that taped we would not be facing a membership crisis. This is a long winded way of saying don't see Children's talks as your nemesis, I sure this just happened because you have been trying to fit into a mould or moulds that are not really gerbil shaped.

    Hope the next placement goes as well for you as the first two seem to have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danny. Good to hear from you.

    To be honest, I am being very pedantic and so was my supervisor (their words, not mine). I am also very encouraged by the gifts I have been given. I know it's different leading worship when you are being assessed verses 'just' leading worship, if you get what I mean?!

    Children's addresses - I think you've hit the nail on the head about jumping through hoops. Though I have taken on board what my last supervisor said, I haven't majorly changed the way I do them. Like you I think they are more of an all age introduction to the topic. For me I think the slot where the children are present for the service (what ever that may be called) should be where they are included and learn that they are valued and important to the church as a whole; they are as much part of the church as you or I am. If that's all they get from it, I'm happy. It would appear my current supervisor (and the congregation) has the same philosophy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!