Friday 20 January 2012

By the door

After I've lead worship, I will wait by the door of the church and greet people as the leave (that doesn't make sense, but you get the idea). I do this because that seems to be expected of me.

But why? Why do ministers wait by the front door of the church as the congregation leaves? Where does that tradition come from and what purpose does it serve?

Perhaps it's an opportunity for members of the congregation to give feedback, but most feedback I've received has been over tea after the service or at other functions. Yes, there has been a little at the door, but people feel under pressure not to "hold up the line", so comments are very brief, usually.

Waiting by the door feels a little self-serving for my liking. Yes, I want to lead worship well and hope and pray that enables people to get closer to God, but I don't want people to feel they have to praise me, however subtlety, while they leave.

When I have an opportunity to be a member of a congregation, I personally find it awkward when I have to leave by the door the minister is waiting at, as I feel I have to think of something to say and, often as not, just say good morning (or, as I am a bit anal, good afternoon). It's not very useful for either party, but few people (myself included) want to be critical, generally. If I feel awkward about it, I think I am not the only one.

So, do I have to do this. What are the benefits to the congregation, not me, the congregation? If they'd rather just leave without having to shake hands with the minister (or me), why don't we just let them? Or it there something really, really important I am missing?

2 comments:

  1. Being at the door *may* be an opportunity for feedback on what you did, but, more importantly, it is an opportunity for someone to to make an approach, however subtly, concerning a pastoral issue.
    Yes, most of the time it'll be nothing more than a polite greeting, but there have been many times I've been told, "Did you hear about...?" and subsequently discovered that someone isn't keeping well, or a relative has... (whatever), or heard some other piece of congregational news (and I mean news, not gossip) that hasn't filtered out to me.
    Not everyone goes for tea or coffee. Not everyone who'd like to gets an opportunity to catch the minister during that time either. More often than not, people are able to snatch a few moments at the door to pass on a snippet of news.
    Also, it's an 'informal' place to do that. Not everyone wants to 'waste the minister's time' by seeing them 'formally'. The perception seems to be (rightly or wrongly) that we're so busy a 'quick word' is the way to pass on information.
    Apart from that, it's also an opportunity for the small elements of pastoral contact - "Oh, how's your wee lass now...?" or "Were you able to..." It shows we care and it's not an imposition on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John.

    That makes sense and will make me feel less narcissistic next time. I hadn't thought of the point you've raised and I will keep them in mind for future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!