Monday 30 January 2012

Let them help

Anyone who's regularly read this blog (which I an always amazed that others do actually want to read my random opinions on a range of matters and my struggle and joy with this call God has given me, but I digress) will know I have a bit of a thing for social justice.

Now, I'm not talking about letting people away with not contributing to society - far from it - I am a great believer in helping people give what they can not what the society thinks it needs. Take church as an example. There's often voluntary vacancy comes up (and it's usually voluntary, that's the nature of the beast) for someone to take over doing a job that someone has done for ages. The people looking to fill that vacancy expect the new post holder to do exactly what the other person could do. Someone comes forward who can give something, but it's no as much or a different thing from what has come before. Sometimes, here's little room for compromise or looking at what the person coming forward has to give, even if is not perfect.The person rejected and their gift left unwrapped. They my even be put off attempting to step up to the plate again, all because people just see want the don't have to give, rather than don't.

Now, quite how I'd tackle this in "real" ministry,. I don't fully know. I'd hope I'd always find  way to use people who want to help, in whatever way. I hope I'd find a way to use their skills and encourage others to do likewise. Through that, I'd hope to give those who think they may not have anything to give the opportunity to see they have so much they can give and more. So, they feel valued and important and that they are contributing to society, in their own small way,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!