Sunday 8 January 2012

That was better

The service at Eagleside went well today. I'd like to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, but as I was leading it, I was a little nervous. Actually, I did get something from it, as though the words I was speaking were as much for me as the congregation. Enjoyment wouldn't be the best word to describe how I felt, though; and I can't think of a better one!

So, positives, negatives.

Good:
  • Clear voice (yea it's that again) and good pace I think I may have even managed to vary speed a little to stop it sounding too much like a monotone. It'll be useful to listen to the service to get a sense of whether that really came across or not.
  • The children's address worked well (thankfully). The children were engaged with the illustration (though I probably used the word awesome too much, but that wasn't to be "down with the yooff", I do actually say that) and interacted with me (obviously the scary factor's waring off). When all the children, in their enthusiasm, answered my question at once, I gently told them I couldn't listen to them all at the same time and asked to take turns. That worked well, all who wanted to contribute go their chance and they respected others (and me, I think) at the same time. As they were mainly fairly young, I kept the concept at an appropriate level from them and didn't whitter on too long at them. They seemed to respond very favourably to it. Feedback I received afterwards generally supported this, some of which was from current and former teachers!
  • The service flowed. There was a common theme in the hymns, readings, prayers, children's address and sermon. That was as planned and I do think it's important that's the case.
  • I didn't panic when someone else got up to do the prayers of intercession. I had prepared to led that, but just went with the flow and didn't regard it as "my ball". I also didn't make a fuss about it at all - either during the service or afterwards. It wasn't their fault and it's good an extra voice in the service, rather than one the whole way through.
  • I generally presented the sermon well, though not entirely and the will be covered in bad points. I linked well with the bible readings, used images well (as a picture tells a thousand words), went at a good pace and gave encouragement and pause for thought.
  • I tried to speak to the whole congregation during all elements, both in terms of the words, but also through attempting to make eye contact with the whole congregation and not just talking to those immediately in front of me.
 Bad:
  • I perhaps should have explained why I was exploring the theme I was using during the service at the beginning. I did hear one person wondering why I was covering it at this time of year.
  • I was nervous. (Though is that really a bad thing?)
  • During the sermon, I started well. I knew that bit quite well and did deliver it without referring to my notes, but there were some bits I slightly stumbled on or I was a wee bit up-and-down looking at them and that may have given the impression I didn't know what I was saying (or that I was nervous). At one point, slightly going off notes (though still on topic) my mind went totally blank. After what seemed like an eternity (probably less than 2 seconds) I moved on. Thought that was better than having everyone staring at me and me getting more in a fankle than I was already. And, finally, I may have ended the sermon a bit sharply, though feedback I received was mixed in that regard - some thought I could have been more sharp! I did feel, though, that even a short prayer would have drawn it together better than I actually did.

So, overall, I'd say it went well. Feedback was mainly positive and the whole service seemed well received. I know people don't like being critical, but there was genuine warmth in their comments. Also, as touch on, there was criticism, but constructive and things for me to be aware of and build on.

And, as a final aside. A regular visitor to Eagleside was chatting to me after the service. His home church regularly has ministry candidates training there. He said some are good, some less so good. He told me he thought I was in the best category. That was a great boast to me, while very humbling at the same time. God knows how I do it (and I do mean that literally).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!