Monday 9 January 2012

Love hurts

A member of my home church phone Spot and I last night. It was good to hear from them, even though it was sort of business related, at least initially.

Unfortunately, her husband is very ill. While talking about how he was, she was clearly in tears and I was struggling to keep my emotions in check as I didn't want to upset her anymore and I know she's trying to keep it together for him. In many ways, I felt this was like a pastoral conversation, as much as a friendly one. It gave a small hint (and I can't emphasise this enough) of some of the things I will carry with me in ministry. As I get to know a congregation more, I will share their laughter and tears. Their pain, sorrow and joy. I will be told things no one outwith the family has been told and be let into their lives in ways I can only imagine.

On a selfish and personal note, the ill person was very influential in my Christian growth. Of many people I know from various parts of my life, he is someone I would really like to be at my ordination. Be the looks of things that won't happen and that hurts. Really hurts and, I think, they would like to be there. Whatever happens, I really believe they will be there in spirit as some of what they taught will be there in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!