Wednesday 13 April 2011

Written for me?


This Lent, I have been using as my daily devotional reading "Lent for everyone, Matthew, Year A" by Tom Wright. Each day has a bible reading for that day in Lent, followed by a commentary and short prayer. It's easy to read, in terms of language and explanation, so I would agree with the "For Everyone" tag.

I know there's a couple of weeks still to go. Of course, there's Holy week next week, but the book continues on beyond Easter Sunday for a week.

I am enjoying the style of the book and the discipline of having daily devotional reading for Lent. In some ways, I feel I am following those first disciples to the cross. Wondering what Jesus is going to do next and how his Messianic purpose fits into the prophesies.


Of course, unlike the first followers, I know what happens. I wonder what it really must have been like for them. Watching Jesus - the Messiah - act so un-Messiah-like (so far as some would, then, have believed). Then, once Jesus was taken by the authorities, fear for my life as they would be looking for me next, so they could truly put this seditious uprising down. No wonder they hid and denied they had even known Jesus.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I began posting about this Lenten reading, not as a book review, but the readings/reflections from yesterday (Matthew 24:45-51) and today (Matthew 25:14-30) really resonated with me. In both both cases the master trusts his servants while away. In the first, to have things ready for his return; in the second, to invest their talents wisely.

In  the reflection of these readings, Tom Wright argues church leaders should look at them as warnings. Firstly, to actually follow Jesus' teaching and prepare for his return. Secondly, to use the skills they have been given wisely and for God's greater glory. Err, as a (God willing) future Church of Scotland minister, that means me!

Whether I like it or not, I will be a leader. Of a congregation - of a worshiping body of God's people. Through that leadership I need to do what Jesus taught his disciples and encourage the congregation to do likewise. By so doing, prepare for his return. So, not pressure at all. Nothing major...

I suppose, though, I have also been trusted with talents. Skills and gifts God has given me to do what he needs me to do. I need to invest and nurture them wisely. As I have already discovered, God has given me talents I wasn't even aware I possessed, only following by his call have I actually started to discover them. Perhaps that is where the good investment comes in? By investing my talents who knows how many more I will give back to God when he asks me to give an account of myself? I pray I am worthy of his trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!