Sunday 1 August 2010

Jammin'

When Spot and I were married, some friends gave us gardening vouchers. Among the plants we bought was a redcurrant. That was 6 years ago. It's bore fruit every year, but for one reason or another, I haven't done anything with it.

That changed yesterday. With the assistance of Spot, I harvested the fruit. There was more than either of us expected - 2.75 pounds. My Mum had kept mentioning how much she likes redcurrant jelly, but I couldn't be bothered with  the faff of passing the sweated fruit through an old pillowcase to make that, so I came up with this:

Redcurrant and chilli jam.

To make it, I sweated the fruit in a large pan until there was as much liquid as fruit. I then added 1.75 pounds of sugar and stirred thoroughly to make sure the sugar was dissolved. This mix was brought to the boil and after 5 minutes 3 finely chopped cayenne chilli peppers were added (these were growing on our windowsill). The whole mix continued to boil until set. Just about another 7 or 8 minutes. Redcurrants are high in pectin, so jams made with them set quickly! I test the set point by putting a little bit of jam on a plate I put in the freezer just before starting the jamming process.

It tastes really quite nice, even if I say so myself. The chilli just gives a bit of an edge, but not so much as to give heat and take away from the fruit. There's also less sugar than in a "proper" jam - such as strawberry. Normally it's 1 pound of sugar to 1 pound of fruit, though I use 0.75 pounds of sugar. I used less sugar as this is more a savory "with cheese" type jam.

Next thing I'll be making is elderberry jam and maybe some wine too. I've already made strawberry jam from the crop at the front of the house. There's nothing like reducing food miles. And the smell in the house is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!