Monday 30 August 2010

40 credits, sir?

Last week, I had the pleasure to meet some of the ministry candidates I will, eventually, be studying with. This was at a "pre-conference social". It was great, I get to meet people, discuss ministry, God, politics, life, the universe, everything and Up! without being thought of as odd, annoying, different or strange...or not too strange, anyway.

On another note, Edinburgh uni have now advised me I need 40 university credits (I don't know exactly what that means, either), to stand a chance of gaining a place there next year. This because I have been away from academic study for more than 2 years. I could do courses at their centre for life long learning or elsewhere, such as distance learning courses at Aberdeen uni. I was informed of this at the beginning of August by Edinburgh uni and told the prospectus for the life long learning course would be available to download by the end of the month. Yes, it became available on Friday, this is a bank holiday weekend and some of the courses begin tomorrow. Nice!

I happened to mention to other candidates at the social last week about this. They were pretty surprised by this as none had experienced this nor had to undertake additional study, where they had a prior degree. I thought this may have been due to, in one case, a couple of years passing, but one of the candidates is only starting now and obtained their place in February. As they said, how could things have changed in 6 months?

So, now I'm thinking do I start courses with Aberdeen uni in the hope I can gain sufficient credits, while working full-time and remaining some sort of sanity? Should I see the opinion of ministries council and see what they can do to help? Or, should I not bother applying to Edinburgh after all and just go to St. Andrews - they don't need additional credits?

Choices, choices.

I'd prefer to go to Edinburgh, for a while plethora of reasons. If their criteria is 40 credits for those outwith academic study in the last 2 year, fair enough, but always apply them or not at all. I have a very ingrained sense of fairness and having a tantrum to get a uni place, rather than playing by the rules of the institution just isn't me.

Anyway, much praying and contemplation to go on in the next few days, while I work out where God wants me to go. Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. It's quite typical for Aberdeen to do things at the last minute! I did 9 of their courses at different levels and thoroughly enjoyed them (well except for one which was excruciatingly uninteresting). I did this while working full time and on placement. It was doable, but you had no life for yourself.

    The tutors generally were helpful and the admins were great. It may be worth checking it out - you may only need 2 or 3 modules, and it gets you thinking theologically.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!