Sunday 8 August 2010

Watching



I headed into Edinburgh on Thursday. As I waited for Spot I noticed this lady selling "The Big Issue" outside Princes Street's Marks and Spencers. She was reasonably dressed and didn't fit into the stereotype for a homeless person.

Two things struck me as I watched. Firstly, in this uncertain time of job losses and reduction in benefits and public services, how many more of us will be where she was? Secondly, how invisible she was to passers-by. As you can see from the photo, people weren't looking in her direction and there's a clear space around her. No-one wants to get too close.

While I watched, a passer-by shouted "Big Issue, Big Issue" as he walked by. Edinburgh Council banned newspaper sells (mainly the local Evening News and Scotsman) from calling out. This also applies for Big Issue sellers. To her credit, she just shook her head at him.

A couple of minutes later, just as Spot arrived, a person doing a street collection in aid of RSPB turned up. He was about 5 metres away from the lady. I bet Spot someone would speak to him and donate money before anyone approached the lady. We waited less than a minute for me to be proven right. That made me very sad. I love birds and an passionate about watching them, but people are so much more important to God.

In all the time I watched, probably 15 minutes, no one approached the Big Issue lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!