Wednesday 28 July 2010

Two Sundays - two services

Two Sunday's in a row I was asked to lead worship at the church linked with my home church, while my ministers were on holiday. This was humbling as they asked me following on from the last time I'd lead worship there back just after Easter. The session had met in the following few days and decided then to ask. Also, at the moment I'm cheap. I won't take pulpit supply money (and I don't even know if I'm entitled anyway) as I'm still working and don't need the money. I'd just give to straight back anyway!

The first Sunday, I don't know what had got into me, but I wasn't quite "right". It was only wee things, but no one could help but notice. When I announced I was skipping the children's address I said "as there's no children here tomorrow", I transposed my figures when announcing one of the hymns and I kept reading through the prayer of confession into intercession so I combined two prayers into one. Must remember to have a prayer before leading worship. I think that's the mistake I made.

I also chose more than 1 unfamiliar hymn. Oops. I did select them based on the theme, but perhaps took that a little far. The congregation did rise to the occasion, though.

A positive, though, was the congregation did seem to be moved by my sermon. A few commented they got something out of it. Someone mentioned about the hymns and my apparent nervousness, but also said the sermon was good and "that's the most important thing". The session clerk commented it was well paced.

On the second Sunday, things did go better. Given I was using the lectionary (I've not got the confidence or knowledge to go off-topic, yet) and Sunday's was the Lord's prayer, I did put prayer at the start of my worship. I think that made all the difference. Probably just as well, given a local minister and his family were on holiday and chose the church I was leading worship. The usual congregation were relieved I was there when they saw the visiting minister. They had planned a "songs of praise" service. Nothing wrong with that now and again. And I'm sure they would have risen to the occasion if I wasn't there.

One thing I did was print my service notes at a smaller font size than normal, so I felt I was reading from them a lot.and not making eye contact with the congregation as much as I usually do. Spot said he hadn't noticed that, but I was a little slower during my sermon; probably at the right pace. Personally, I still felt I could have done with the larger font. It's a comfort blanket, so to speak. Practice makes perfect, though. And I know Spot does give constructive feedback.

Overall the service was well received. I went for all well known hymns. They did, broadly, follow the theme and more than made up for the previous week. Just to ensure I got a positive reaction, the closing hymn was "Guide me o thy Great Jehovah". In my experience, with that as a finally, the person (or people) leading worship can get away with a lot! Besides, it's one of my favourite hymns and, as the person leading worship it's one of the perks!

1 comment:

  1. I used to beat myself up if things in a service didn't go the way I wanted. Now I'm more relaxed - all sorts can go wrong - how about missing a hymn out? Having 4 hymns where three are new to the congregation? Or waiting for a threefold Amen when there isn't one? The projector blowing up just before a children's talk? Telling the children to keep their eyes s***e tut during their address?

    Oh the horrors I've seen done and have done! It's all about experience and most congregations are very, very forgiving. Your mistakes become part of the folklore of the place. Always remember you command the space and time, so take time and do it the way you are comfortable with.

    Sometimes it's a pity we tend to be perfectionists!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!