Wednesday 9 June 2010

Steps towards being "official"

Although I have had the nod from ministries council, regarding my call to ministry, in order to officially become a candidate in training for the ministry of word and sacrament my local presbytery has to approve it (there's probably lots of official language and a proper legal term, I know). So, I let the presbytery clerk know I had been accepted and she passed my details onto the convener of ministries committee in my presbytery.

It is his responsibility to bring the matter regarding my candidacy to presbytery and, with that in mind, we met for a cuppa last night. The discussion was just a "get to know you" session, as neither of us have met before. I also learnt there is another person in the presbytery who has also been recently accepted for ministry training. It'll be good to meet them too, though they will be starting training this year as they have a uni place.

One interesting thing the convener asked was if I had sufficient pastoral support. I mentioned my ministers, but apparently it's better if it's not them. I also mentioned my last local assessor, who has already said she'd be really happy to meet me to chat, if I needed. If I needed more, I'll just shout. I've gotten over my slight reticence to ask for help - I can be a little too independent!

So, in 2 weeks time presbytery should be "rubber stamping" 121's decision. I hope so anyway. As Spot says, they'd need a very good reason over my life and doctrine to knock me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!