Thursday 10 June 2010

Feeling a little drained

I've been giving blood tonight. According to the Scottish Blood Transfusion Service (SBTS), it was my 63rd donation.

When you give blood in the UK, you don't get paid. It's illegal and, I would say, a little immortal. That's just by-the-by, though. As a little thank you, SBTS gives donors little pin badges after 10, 25, 50 and 100 donations.

I should have received my award for 50 donations a while ago now, but the nurses at the donor sessions hadn't mentioned it and I wasn't that fussed. I don't give for awards. I give because I can and have the attitude of  I'd expect there to be blood products available should my friends, family or myself ever needed it. Also, my cousin had to have a blood transfusion at birth, due to the rhesus factor problem. If it weren't for blood donors I wouldn't have a cousin.


As I was registering, the nurse brought up that fact I hadn't had my 50 donations award and that I deserve it. So, I accepted. Then I was invited to put off receiving my award until October, where I could go to Edinburgh city chambers for a cheese and wine reception. No thanks, that's not why I donate. She was a little surprised initially. I think she though I was being modest. When it became apparent I was serious I got a "good on ya"!

So, that got me to thinking, how many times do people do things for recognition of their peers, rather than be totally altruistic? There are several people I work with have entered the Race for life in Edinburgh on Sunday. Now, I am in no way taking away from people entering organised events to raise funds for such a good cause. After all 1 in 3 people will develop cancer at some point in their lives, but the way some people go o about it, it strikes me as more a social gathering with their pals and no one in the social circle wants to say "no, I don't want to do it", as it will make them look bad

And there's Cancer Research's decision last year to put out of "smaller" Race for life events, such as in Dumfries, because "We owe it to our participants and supporters to ensure that we raise as much money as possible in the most cost-efficient way. For this reason we have taken the difficult decision to reduce the number of smaller Race for Life events across the UK, including Race for Life at Dumfries, and increase the number of places available at bigger events". So, Dumfries doesn't make enough money for Cancer research - one of the biggest and best funded charities in the country! Yet the local Rotary Club now organises a similar event (which men can enter - shock horror!). (That's just my wee rant, though).

I used to get a hard time at my work for being a "Sunday" Christian, as I didn't brag about the things I did outwith work for my church and other. If could have been so easy to put those people straight, but I would have lost some of my integrity. After all, it's God who judges what I do, not people (just as well, really!). A lot of people don't understand this, but I'm just doing what Jesus taught. Or I at least try to. I don't always get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!