Sunday 27 June 2010

Passing on gifts

My first minister was a great minister and a humble and caring human being. Of all the past ministers my current ministers hear people talking about, he is the one who is spoken about with the most affection. His wife was a similarly wonderful person. She, it has to be said, as a "traditional" minister's wife, but together they were a team.

I learnt a lot from them both. How to serve, how to be loved, how we're all important and loved by God, no matter our backgrounds. This, when I was little, was unusual. My Mum wasn't married (and never had been) and had a little girl. Many other places and people judged my Mum and I on this. My first minister and his wife didn't. One of the best things he ever said to my Mum was "we all make mistakes, it's how you deal with them that matters". I believe this was when she thought she wouldn't be able to join the church. It was the 1970s.

Unfortunately, they both died some time ago. Their memories and teachings live on, though. I know the seeds they sowed have lead me to where I am in faith now.

Today, a member of my home church needed to talk to me. A fellow member of the congregation has had to move into a care home - the mind's willing, but the body isn't. Due to the move, she's is having to get rid of many of the things in her home. There's a crystal bowl she wants me to have. I was so touched by this. This woman was another one of the people sowing the seeds when I was little. I became even more touched when I was told why she wanted me to have it.

The bowl was given to her by my first minister's wife. Apparently I was always her favourite (I never realised this, as she treated everyone the same) and because I am going to be a minister. I was so touched I could have cried. Such a generous and loving gift. I will treasure it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs.Gerbil,

    I did stumble across your blog by accident but hope to return! If you're interested I'm an ordained minister of 'Churches in Communities' and soon to be an 'Associate Minister' in the Guildford Methodist Circuit as well as being the Free Church Chaplain at the Royal Surrey Hospital...there!

    Thanks for inviting me to say 'Hi'

    Allan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!