Monday 21 June 2010

Can't sing, won't sing

When I was little, my terrible singing was legendary. I'd like to have thought I was a bit like Eric Morecambe in the classic Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn sketch "all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order, but that would have implied some right notes. Holding a tune in a bucket would have been a major achievement!!!

I always learnt all the words for the sings (or hymns) that the Sunday school, school class or drama group were preforming. And I had (and still do) have the voice to ensure those at the back of the hall or church can hear me. But, I'm sure they rather I wouldn't have!!!

It got to the stage, where the class was to preform a song for end of term, say, the teacher would ask me to mime. As I knew the words, I was also to prompt those who'd forgotten. My quiet wasn't that quiet, I have to admit!!!

Even at uni, my singing was still appalling. Some good friends of mine would kill "Caravan of Love" by the House Martins. Others living in the block must have thought we were strangling a cat, or something!!!

Yet, latterly, somethings odds stated. As I recall, it first happened 4 years ago, at a good friend's wedding (incidentally, a fellow caravan of lover). Another one of the "Caravan of Love" chorus turned to me after the service and said "when did you learn to sing like that?" - harking back to the cat's choir. I didn't think things had changed, and also put it down to hymns I'd known since I was wee.

Then, when I first visited the church where I did my second period of co-ordinated field assessment, a member of the congregation told me "What a braw voice you have". When I told my Mum this she laughed and said "they must be tone deaf".

Then, yesterday, I was helping the older group at young church. Initially, they were practicing the hymn they will be singing at next Sunday's service. I commented I'd better not join in, as I'd distract them. My minister, who'd come out to play for us (her husband, the other minister, was leading worship) and who had also been sitting in front of me during the start of the service said "why do you always say things like that. I was listening to you during the hymns and you have a really nice voice".

Good grief, if that's the case, where has it come from. I could probably get signed affidavits from multiple people countering my minister's claims. I suspect, with enough years of practice anyone can become good (or at least reasonable) at almost anything. Or maybe, just maybe, this is another gift from God. Now, that would be amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the very good things about church is that it is a place where people are encouraged to sing irrespective of how 'good' or 'bad' they think they can - make a joyful noise 'n all that! There are now very few avenues in society where 'community singing' happens and so folk not only lose confidence, they also don't get opportunity just to sing and in that sense to practice... so my guess is that as you've chuntered on in church and just got on with the business of singing hymns, you're vocal chords and ears have been quietly and subconsciously learning - getting used to rythm and sound and meter and breathing in the most helpful places in the tune.
    There are very few folk who are really tone deaf, but there are vast loads of folk who were told when wee 'argh, you're crap' and had the confidence just to go for it knocked out of them. And of course, most singing we hear these days is done by professionally trained folk... and the subtle implication drip-fed to lesser mortals is that unless we can do what the pro's do, we are crap.... double-whammy confidence sappers.
    Pffft, just go for it Mrs G, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's probably the case Nik. Practice makes perfect, so to speak. I agree that being told I was rubbish hasn't really helped and I've always made a bit of a joke about my singing. Looks like the jokes coming onto me, so to speak ;-)
    INterestingly, last night, after presbytery, Spot commented that I do have a nice voice. He'd been listening after this post, rather than joking with me
    In God's grace and love we learn and grown. Who'd have thought it would be me learning to sing. Whatever next?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!