Friday 27 August 2010

Should I stay or should I go?

Yesterday, my office announced a voluntary redundancy scheme. My initial reaction was “show me the money; show me the money”. Over the course of the evening, Spot and I had a long chat about the implications of the package.

Ideally, my office wants those taking up the offer to leave by 31 December. Doing the sums, Spot and I would be worse off with me leaving then than waiting until next August to leave. That, of course, works on the assumption I do not get another job meantime. However, the redundancy offer does say the leaving date can be as late as 31 March 2011. With that as a leaving date, it does make the package more beneficial than staying for an additional 4-5 months (if I did manage that long!).

I know Spot supports whatever decision I make. As he said, he was expecting me to be leaving about now to go to uni, so any earnings I have beyond now are a bonus. There’s also the matter the office may not receive sufficient applications now and compulsory redundancies come in in the new financial year, with poorer terms. Worse still, from our perspective, during that round Spot’s made redundant rather than me.

I have decided I will apply for redundancy. Obviously I have prayed for guidance with this decision. I feel God not only supports it, but wants me to trust Him. That this is all part of His plan for me and He will provide for Spot and I.

2 comments:

  1. It's what precipitated my own move into student-dom, so my opinion may be a little biased. I didn't even have the assurance of being accepted as a candidate, but it felt that it was what God wanted me to do. It was the answer to the prayer of 'how can I make this move to being a student actually work?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. John

    I very much have the feeling God is calling me to step out from the things I know and trust he will guide and provide for Spot and I. To that end, I put in my application yesterday afternoon. It was the complete opposite from a job application - I had to sell getting redundancy based on me not being unique!

    PS Should you not be at candidates' conference?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!