Monday 28 April 2014

Spot and Mrs G worshipping together

So, the first Sunday post-Quarry Kirk. And, with Spot being between placements, the choice of not only being a bum on a pew (or, in the case of where we visited, comfie chairs), while worshipping with him indoors.

But, even on Saturday, the question was where? It would have felt odd for both of us 'skipping' worship, but we wanted, if possible, to get to a 10:30 service, as we knew we would be heading straight from church to visit friends (and have fun at their daughter's third birthday party!). Eventually, on Sunday morning, we came up with where we'd go.

It was good to have the opportunity to 'just' worship, but I fear for the first little bit (15-20 minutes into the service) I found I was analysing rather than worshipping. I suspect this whole reflective practitioner thing means it can become a bit of an occupational hazard, as I wonder why things are done in a way for the context, worship space etc etc and how (or if) I would apply the style. But I soon settled into worship when I put my mind to doing just that!

(She says, realising she's about to 'reflect' on it!).

The service came together well and it was great to see people other than the minister leading prayers, doing the children's talk and reading the bible lesson. The minister (or his predecessors) had everyone well trained, as whose involved in the various elements of the service made their way to the front at a point that there was not the 'usual' long pause as someone gets from their seat and to the front. Also, there must be good (I assume) planning of the content of the service, as all the elements came together really well.

For the beginning of the service, the children weren't around, but the hall's a bit away, so they come in at the end of the service. The children's talk (which, I feel, was relevant to the whole congregation) linked to the whole service and serves as a good rounding off point.

But, if I had a choice, would I head back? Perhaps not. The first people to speak to us had been members of Eagleside when I was on placement there. They were interested to hear what Spot and I were up to, so it was good to see them. There was a bit of a buzz after the service as members of the congregation talked to one another after the service, but to my eyes it felt like a congregation which is friendly - to those on the inside. I don't think it was intentional, but it was a bit disappointing and the sort of thing which may put those seeking a church (or to find out what church is all about) off. Definitely a lesson there for me, though how I'd tackle that, I'm not sure.

Oh, and the cup of tea wasn't bad, but the mugs were really awkward to hold. Those with bad hands would have toiled, as I was. A silly wee one fingered handle near the rim is just a bit pants. What's wrong with normal mugs, where you can put a whole hand in the handle (or at least more than 1 finger)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!