Thursday 8 May 2014

Hard to get to know

So, Spot started his second placement last week. Accordingly, his first Sunday was there.I had thought about going along to 'support' him in his new place, but the timings of services was going to be complicated, so I decided to visit the local Piskies instead.

The worship itself was good, with hymns pointed out as being the prayers. I actually quite liked that, though I'm not sure I would appreciate that every week. I was 'surprised' by the number of latecomers and assumed they were visitors to the town and didn't realise the service started at 10, but I established they were regulars who'd timed it to catch communion (I wonder if it was just that Sunday, or if they did that every Sunday?). One sat next to me and congratulated me for being able to look up the bible. (What, is this a rare gift that few in the SEC possess???).

Being Piskie, communion was celebrated. I swithered whether to go up, as I think those wafer things are howfing (no offence intended), but I can cope if I get some wine to wash them down. The problem was, as I watched the servitor(?) they were pouring the wine into the congregations mouths. No, that's not going to happen. So, rather than either (a) cause a fuss or (b) manage to pour wine on myself rather than in myself, I decided to just sit in the pew. Never did I think I would see the benefit of Kirk thimbles of wine is I can take it myself and drink it at my leisure!

The sermon was good, with a very enthusiastic preacher. The praise band were complementary, talented and didn't dominate proceedings. The building itself was very nice too, dating from the late 15th century, so I liked that.

But the welcome was...lacking. It all started with me landing up doing an almost complete circuit of the building trying to figure out how to get in. The 'Welcome' sign was not visible from the main road, which the church is on. When I went in there was a few conversations going on, so it was a minute or so till I was noticed. A bit disappointing.

After the service, the cuppa was reasonable, and those I eventually chatted to were friendly enough. To me as well as to others. I get the impression they really aren't used to visitors. Shame, once you get to know them, I;m sure they are a lovely bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!