Friday 28 March 2014

Should I talk about Mothers this Sunday?

Sunday is Mothering Sunday, as if we could have missed it with all the cards, balloons, cakes and other lovely offerings total tat which have been in the shops since not long after Christmas. This, combined with being brought up to totally disapprove of what Mothering Sunday has morphed into (we should, after all, show our love to our Mums or those who have mothered us all year round, not just in the middle of Lent) does not make me have the warm fuzzy feeling I probably (maybe, perhaps) should have. At the end of the day, worship should be able God not about me or my opinions. And, it's not fair on the children to slag off Mothering Sunday to them.

So, what to do? Should I explain the origins, but talk about how we've all been mothered - not everyone has a good relationship with their mother for a variety of reasons. Or, should I 'pretend' it's not Mothering Sunday and just focus on the reading for Sunday (John 9:1-41)? Tough one, which also depends on how many, if any, children are there on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!