Wednesday 12 March 2014

Research sharing

This semester's been very busy, and I've commented on that before. This week, I've been a bit in limbo. My dissertation's mostly written, but my supervisor for it has been out of the country. Not a problem, as I'd taken that into account when 'planning' the work (that actually sounds organised, but I did have it at the back of my mind). But, without having that to bust a gut on, I feel at a bit of a loose end!

I have really enjoyed the research for my dissertation and I seem to be doing new stuff. (Oh, if you are wondering, I am examining the changes made to Medieval Scottish churches between the Reformation and the Convent. I am focusing on 2 churches in neighbouring parishes as a comparison study.). Maybe I just get a wee bit too excited about working out how buildings were used and, in this case, to what extent theory and practise came together or didn't.

When I was chatting with a friend the other day, they said I'd maybe get a first for it. I told them no way, as I've never got a first for anything else before and I don't see that changing. This is not being self-deprecating, just basing the observation on evidence.

Yet, on a few occasions this academic year further study has been mentioned to me. A friend asked if I'd thought about doing a masters of the historical flavour. Another discussed the science and religion masters and said they could see me doing that. Then, just the other day, Spot asked if I'd do a PhD if I had the chance - err, no, brainy people do PhDs. Or people with the inclination to research a very narrow topic for 3 years.


I like the research, I really do, but the write up has, at times, been a bit of a drag. Not helped by having A LOT of photos and plans, which requires using Spot's PC for the embedding/compressing, as mine just isn't powerful enough (5 year old single core notebook - it has served me well and has only been an 'issue' for this). I'll never say never, but it doesn't tug at me with a niggling thing that I should be doing that.

What I am tempted to do (actually, have been challenged to do) is when I've finished my degree and it's all done, I will improve the Wiki entries for the two churches. No point keeping this knowledge to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!