Friday 17 January 2014

Being disciplined

I've just spent most of today reading up on early modern Scottish church discipline. More fascinating than you'd think (or, perhaps, that says something about my head). I'm trying to get ahead of the game with course work, where I can, to free myself up to concentrate on my dissertation.

Looking at how much I could do, in terms of reading and further research, for all my coursework, I could spend almost every waking hour studying. It's not that I don't enjoy it, but there's a whole world out there. Besides, in 20 years time, will the grades I receive now matter? No! But what I have learnt will.

Besides, in addition to study, I have to fit in pulpit supply most Sundays till Easter, some pastoral visits for the Big Kirk and (occasionally) seeing other people! Or, reappearing from my study to do things other than make pints of tea.

And the only way I can manage to do all this is by being very disciplined on myself (like how I did that). Setting 'office hours,' where I do uni work, with the other stuff happening at evenings, breaks and weekends. Well, maybe not all weekend, I still need a day off and I am also disciplined about that too.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, but I think EM discipline is fab :D
    Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter at some point when I'm back from New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!