Monday 13 January 2014

Being prepared for probation

So far, this has been a busy academic year. Between full-time study, preparing and leading worship at Quarry Kirk most Sundays, doing pastoral work with the Big Kirk (as required from my annual review) and making sure I have some 'me' time. I always knew this would be a busy year, but as I am about to enter my last semester at uni, it's working.

It's funny how things work out. In hindsight I perhaps agreed to too much with Quarry Kirk, though always knew I would not have to do the third Sunday of the month there. If I was there every week, I would have (a) gone off my head, (b) not have had the space to attend worship at the Big Kirk, so I could get known there. Also, I now have a supervisor I get on really well with, who I seek advise from, but with whom I feel treated as an equal - someone who she wants to share the work with and sees me as helping her out. This relationship was especially useful for me when I had a very hard, personal pastoral matter to deal with, as I was able to ask for advice and discuss it after the event with her. Again, funny how things work out.

Though I am busy (and, I must admit, last week having a bit of a 'how will I get this all done?' wobble), the preaching and leading worship and pastoral stuff, in conjunction with academic study is good for me. It 'reminds' me why I am doing this, placing the academic study in a ministry context (at least in my head). Mainly, though, I'm now looking at it as all useful experience. Not only of juggling all these balls, but being used to pretty much working full-time hours (not just full-time student hours). I think this will make the transition between last year at uni to full-time probation easier, as I am already used to the juggling.

I actually worry a little about my fellow candidates who haven't got so much to do this year. I know of people on probation who found the first few months hard going as they adjusted to their new 'regime.' I'm not saying it'll be pain sailing for me, but a little easier. And there is evidence I can do pastoral work and get on with supervisors, which is a bonus too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!