Friday 23 November 2012

Wine and bread-free communion

At New College there is a weekly communion service. I really appreciate taking communion with my peers, tutors and lecturers. Around the table, we are all equal.

As I am choked with the cold, while I stayed for the service yesterday, I did not go up to take communion. It's a common cup and I felt it would be very impolite spreading my germs (though silver has antimicrobial properties). I still felt part of communion, but that's because, for me communion is about the community gathered together. I wonder if there were people gathered who thought it weird I would stay, but not take the elements? Or maybe no one noticed or, if they did, realised why I hadn't gone up.

So, though I like the common cup for this gathering, I so could have done with the CofS thimble yesterday!!!

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I have a" thing" about the common cup and at the church I was attached, the serving elders shared the common cup and as I was sitting beside the minister so did I. I was fine if I got it first or second but then the tought of back flow clouds in and I feel so unspiritual. But I can't help it. When I was training as a reader I went with the minister to an old folks home where she conducted communion. By the time the cup got back to her it was fuller than it had started I've never forgotten that. It makes me feel so bad too:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely...note to self when I take communion to a care home, then!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!