Sunday 30 September 2012

And so it starts again

Today saw the beginning of my third placement, this time at Caledonia Kirk. I specifically chose there for this placement as I knew its worship style was very different from any I have experienced thus far in my training and they are trying to be a missional church (their words, not mine!).

It was communion today, but the table was squeezed off to one side to give the praise band space. I was once at a conference where we were invited to think of a church we were familiar with and imagine what a visitor would see first as they entered. That, the speaker argued, was what the church thought of as being most important. Personally, I do not think the table of the Lord should be pushed to the side in favour of the praise band.

And the invitation to the table was...not there, as far as I recall. That's definitely something to ponder.

The people seemed friendly enough and it wasn't just because I was introduced to them - Spot sat separate from me and people did say hello and welcomed him, so that's not too bad. I did find it a bit odd being given a round of applause just for getting to the lectern, which I found very odd (and did make a bit of a jokey comment about).

Throughout the service, the praise band dominated, but didn't really lead worship. It was never clear if they were playing to encourage reflection/meditation of the word or the congregation were to join in. It wasn't clear when the congregation were to stand to sing or sit and join in if they wanted and I don't think the congregation knew either, as there were a couple of times where some stood and others didn't (for no apparent reason). And there was no point were there was no noise. Either someone was talking (leading prayers, readings, the sermon) or the band played. Is there a fear of silence here, as it is in the silence God speaks. There just wasn't space at all to just be with God in the service today, for me at least. But I have to remember, it's not about me (I just know Spot will not be there very often!!!)

I'm trying desperately to think positively about the service and remember there are various ways to come to God. It wasn't for me, but must be for those gathered (I hope so, or are they going out of habit?). I was surprised how few people were gathered for worship today. From the things I had heard about Caledonia Kirk I really thought it would be very busy with mainly the 'missing generation' and young people. There was a reasonable number of youth (though no more than Highland Cathedral and I was there over the summer when numbers naturally drop) and some parents of those. Interestingly, Spot did comment that it looked as thought they were mainly single Mums, though that had occurred to me, but most wore wedding rings. So, where are all the Dads?

Theologically, my initial reaction is this is different from my perspective, but it is early days and I need to get to know where they are coming from (and want to go) before I can draw definite conclusions. It will make preaching a sermon there (dramatic pause) interesting. I think there will be interesting discussions at my supervision sessions too!

It was a reasonable cuppa after the service and I did have a good chat with a member and a couple who are new to that church and the area.

So, another stage in the path following God. Not sure where this will lead, and I suspect this may be the most challenging placement yet, but it will be worth the effort in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Just glanced t your last post where you commented about about the variety yet sameness of worship in the churches you visited recently so it would seem this is completely " different" agree with you re communion table incidentally and must admit your somewhat floundering praise band sounded much like ours! How long will you be at Caledonia? I wish you well and empathise as I'm having to embrace a totally different situation over the next 6 months too, have to keep remembering I responded to the call, here I am Lord send me! All good wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!