Monday 24 September 2012

The same, but different

While trying to visit other churches before beginning my third placements, I have been struck by the variety, yet sameness of the worship. I hope that's a good thing, though I wonder if the way the 'usual' church service in the Kirk lends itself to allowing all to get closer to and know God in ways they couldn't?

Yet a few of the churches I have visited have been full, with members and regular attendance increasing, rather than decreasing, so they must be doing something wrong. And it's not possible to have a one size fits all model for worship, yet the services did have that feel to them, but didn't at the same time..which is an interesting paradox.

Just thoughts at the moment. Nothing more.

1 comment:

  1. I think the shape and content of the Sunday service is very much a secondary consideration when it comes to issues of growth or decline. My probation placement was in a pretty traditional parish church, with a fairly standard hymn/sermon sandwich Sunday service. And yet it too was growing despite the received wisdom.
    One of the key factors in this, I'd suggest, is relationships. Whether it was minister-members, members-organisations, congregation-community, members-members, and whatever other permutations you can think of, the relationships were all excellent. Sunday services then felt more like a 'family gathering' (and, actually, given some of extended family connections, that wasn't far from the truth anyway).
    Maybe something to look for and see if that fits with your own experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!