Monday 28 November 2011

Preaching in Advent

I was preaching at Eagleside for the first time yesterday and I think it generally went well. The sermon was based around Isaiah 64:1-9 and Mark 13:24-35, which aren't exactly cosy, warm, friendly passages for the start of advent!

I ran with the image of God as a potter in Isaiah, shaping and moulding the Israelites into the people he had called them to be and how that still applies to people in the 21st century as much as it did when Isaiah was written. But we should always be prepared for Jesus return. I also put this into the context of the incarnation being irrevevant without Jesus' death and resurrection. Without that, he was a good and holy man, but humanity was not set free from the burden of sin and put right with God in and through that act. Depending how I feel, I may post the sermon some time in the future.

Anyway, I felt I presented well. I was nervous before (and during) preaching, but there's nothing new there. I feel I came across in an authoritative way, but not uncaring. I was clear and I think the pace was about right. There was one point where my voice broke as it very much was speaking to me as much as, I hope, it was speaking to the congregation. I had to pause there, to settle myself and I felt a bit awkward, but was reassured afterwards that only one person picked up on it and that was actually in a positive way, to my surprise.

After the service, many people commented how they have enjoyed it. I know people don't like to be negative, but I felt a genuine warmth and sincerity in their comments, especially as there were people making an effort how I haven't managed to speak to as yet (so may people, so little time). One comment which stood out of me was "I loved your use of imagary and how you put the readings onto the historical context. That really brought it home to me and you've definitly given me food for thought." Wow. That's pretty amazing! Another member, who has been very honest in his critisim of me thus far commented "If you are like that at this stage in your training, you will do well." Praise indeed and very humbling, knowing both that person's background, skills and experience in leading aspects of worship.

I think I might have got away with slightly less comprehensive notes, as for some parts I was barely referring to them. I know it's a comfort blanket sort of thing, but at least if my mind goes blank, they are there. Perhaps, for a shorter talk I may try bullet points and see how that goes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, even if trying that just lets me know never to try that again!


I'm fairly sure there were a couple of times where I may have not quite got my point across well. If I can get a chance to listen to the recording, I will get a clearer idea of how I sound to others and if I articulate my ideas well. I know I don't always do that in normal conversation, so it's unlikely that would never happen in a sermon.

Yet again, though, many people have commented on how clear confident a speaker I am. Some of there people have hearing problems, so I know how important it is to them they can hear. It's good I am still getting this feedback, I know there's a danger I could become complacaent and loose this ability. The confident bit, well, I do seem to be able to come across that way, but I'm like a swan - swiming for dear life underneath the waterline, trying to stay calm and collected.

Also, my singing voice was complemented (again). Perhaps God's trying to tell me something? Either way, it was quite a surprise to have this compliment as the person is a beautiful singer and, I have heard, has high standards. Perhaps I should begin believing in what others say about this. I think it may be useful to be a bit more comfident singing, as there my be times where I need to led the singing in an act of worship (I'm especially thinking of funerals here) and God is helping boast my confidence to allow me to do this when necessary, which is kinda cool.


Overall, it went well. I may post more after I've listened to the recording and got feedback from my supervisor. Either way, I need to learn how to keep the emotions in check, without becoming cold and detached. Better doing it in the context of preaching a sermon to a supportive congregation that many other situations. Maybe it's a practice thing or knowing my triggers. Either way, definitely something to learn and be ware of for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!