Sunday 27 November 2011

The good and bad of praise bands

I must admit to not being a huge fan of praise bands. Unfortunately, I have experienced some bands where they are great musicians, but are not leading worship. It was a great gig, but I wasn't at a gig and they didn't get the balance right.

Other times, it has felt like the members of the band haven't actually vaguely rehearsed before worship or, worse, don't actually know what they are going to play as that will depend on "how the holy spirit moves them". While I believe fervently in the power of the holy spirit, I also believe the holy spirit works with a person's skills, intellect and talent. Gifts come from God, but God has placed them there in the first place...if you get what I mean!

Recently, I heard a version of "O come, O come Immanuel" which left me cold. For me, it's a pleading, reflective hymn, longing for God. This version was not like that.


Doesn't sound very melancoly to me. I did. however, also find this version. What a contrast and much more in keeping, I feel, with how the hymn should sound, especially in the context of the lyrics.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!