Thursday 10 November 2011

By donation

Something which really annoys me is when organisations run events or have entrance fees by donation, then state the "suggestion" on the advert. Sorry, but that's no longer a donation, but a charge. Is this to get around tax laws, as donations are treated differently? Also, is it so you can recover gift aid for the entrance fee, but having a "voluntary additional donation"? I experience this situation at a National Trust property once. I can't recall the entrance fee, but let's say it was £5. As a UK tax payer, they could recover the tax I had already paid in the entrance fee, but only if I "agreed" to pay £7 to enter the property - the £2 extra being my "voluntary donation". It didn't go down too well when I refused and I was told the £7 was the correct entrance charge - so why not just charge that?

I know suggested donations help smaller organisations cover there costs and budget better. And, generally, I don't object to this where it is done correctly. But don't have a cashier make it abundantly clear I have to pay the suggested donation. This may even put off some of the people that organisation confesses to serve, as they see the suggested donation as prohibitive, or it could reduce donations as people who may have given more feel that is no longer appropriate. What, really, is wrong with just by donation? Most people I know will be generally more generous as they try to compensate for the lack of charge. Go on, try it, I think the takings may even increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!