Tuesday 29 November 2011

Funeral Attire

As the weather begins to turn, my thoughts turn towards warm clothes. Now, I have my fair range of warm, sensible clothing. Mainly in bright blue. I like blue. But it's not the best type of warm coat to wear to a funeral.

I do have a good coat I have worn to funerals, but it wouldn't necessary be the most somber for someone involved in or leading the funeral. While it wouldn't be worn in a church or crem funeral, I know I'll need a coat for those times it's a graveside funeral.

The criteria are it has to be smart, classic, non-distracting. In black, charcoal grey or navy blue. It has to be at least mid-calf, to keep my wee legs warm and cosy. Really, you wouldn't think this would be too much to ask, especially as, if it's a really good coat, I don't mind making the financial investment.

Unfortunately, full-length coats aren't that easy to come by, though it has been mild and the shops don't really have many in. There's a lot of red coats, which are lovely but perhaps not the best for a funeral (I so wish they could be, but there's a time and a place and I acknowledge that is a rare funeral!). One shop I went to, when I explained why my requirements where so tight, was really helpful. It's a pity the coats I tried on were too long in the sleeve (and not of a price where I would consider getting them adjusted, though in the sales...). They did say there had been a run, with the change in the weather and they were waiting for more to come in. I might pop in again in the next couple of weeks.

Another shop I think thought I was making it up. All I can say is who would say they were after a full-length dark coat as they were training to be a minister as a wind-up? IMHO wind-ups have to be based on truth and, really, why would anyone make that up. Their coats didn't fit me - but I think I would have had to find the perfect coat before I would have considered buying there. Well done, you've lost a sale.

So, the hunt goes on. I did suggest to Spot I just get a duffel coat, but even I know it's not that smart and, frankly, I look about 5 years old in one (if a little taller). Pity, they are dead warm and practical, just how I like my winter clothing.

1 comment:

  1. Graveside in Scotland, it needs to be waterproof, I just bought a mid calf raincoat from Cotton Trader, not my usual style but wonderful for the current weather! I have a long light weight coat for the days when the weather is clement and when it is sunny I just keep on my preaching gown. I wore a red rain coat on two occasions in the summer before I found the long black one and no one batted an eye lid, so maybe we could start a trend for red :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!