Saturday 30 October 2010

Phone Etiquette

Call me old-fashioned (Mrs G, you're old fashioned), but I was brought up there is a window when it's socially acceptable to phone someone. In my family, it is 6-7:30pm for people you didn't know very well and up to 8:30, 8:45 tops for close friends and family. Only then, that was for brief calls which would be finished before 9.

Part of the reason for the no later than 7:30 was, if I didn't know the person that well, I wouldn't necessarily know if they had young children who may be in, or about to go to, bed.

Any call after 9pm was either pre-arranged as the person it was for was out until then, or an urgent call of the "so and so has taken very ill/been rushed to hospital". You get the idea.

Last night the phone went at 9:30pm. I had text a friend of mine to arrange going for a pint tonight, so answered as I thought it would be them. No, it was the session clerk for the church I am leading worship at tomorrow! To make matters worse, there was nothing he asked me which couldn't wait until today or even tomorrow to establish. To say I was a little annoyed was an understatement!

So, from now on, unless we're expecting a phone call late on, Spot and I will let the answer machine pick it up. If it's urgent enough to warrant being answered, we will. If it can wait till the next day, it will.

I know some will say, once I am in full-time ministry, I will have to get used to receiving calls at all times. I accept that and, if I was really needed at 2am, I would be available at 2am (that is, of course, if I heard the phone at all). But if it can wait, it will wait. Questions over pulpit supply payments/travelling expenses are not included.

Ah, I'm glad I got that off my chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!