Saturday 9 October 2010

My Rangers are 40!

Many years ago, I was a Ranger Guide (now known as senior section). The unit celebrated its 40 anniversary today.

The founder invited all the former members she could contact to a drop-in celebration afternoon. As I am have a lot of time for her, I popped along.

There were a couple of photos featuring yours truely. Spot realised he hasn't seen photos of me, or many, he hasn't taken. I reminded him he had seen my graduation one, but that was taken 6 years after I left rangers!

I didn't stay for long. The people who had turned up, other than the founder, I didn't know. I think they were before or after my time.

One thing I found very odd was there were no current members there. I would have thought they would have been involved in the organising and setting up. It wasn't the case. The event seemed geared up for the past - not including the present. Very strange. I thought it was just me who thought that odd, but Spot commented too. I would have liked to have met some of the current members. To hear of their adventures and experiences.

It's funny. I have fond memories of Rangers and the then guider. I went to many of their activities while I was a member. Yet, I didn't feel connected with the event or the people, other than the founder. But then it has been 17 years. Anything can and probably will in that time. Since then, I've been to two universities, had 4 jobs, got married, travelled Europe and New Zealand and followed my call to ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!