Saturday 29 November 2008

Why I love Christmas

I know I've stated in an earlier post (here) how much I hate Christmas, but that's only the commercial keeping up with the Jones' bit that I hate. The truth be told I love Christmas and here's why:

God - I AM - creator of all things. The being who set the universe in motion at the big bang; creator and overseer of all things. He chose to take human form but He didn't appear suddenly among us. He was born of Mary and human woman. And that (in my opinion) wasn't the most amazing thing about it. He could have chosen to be born from the wife of a King or Pharaoh. No, He was born the son of an unmarried couple, far from home in an enemy occupied country; there was on room in the inns, so the baby - God - had to be placed in a manger.

There was no fanfare. If He'd been born to a King, everyone in the country would have know about it. Shepherds - at the time not the most favourably looked on of professions - were the first to hear the Messiah was born. How amazing was that?

That's why I love Christmas. Because God became flesh and blood like you and me. He really know what His greatest treasure felt - our pain, joy, love, sorrow, passion - and through that could minister and preach in ways that ordinary people would understand and listen to.

Christmas is also amazing as it shows God keeps His promises. It was foretold God would send the Messiah to save His people from oppression. And He did. Through Jesus the prophecies of the Messiah's coming were fulfilled and, through His death on the cross and resurrection, He freed us from the oppression of our sins.

I love Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!