Sunday 15 June 2014

An interesting day

This has been an interesting day, with a range of churches involved.

But it began with me cycling from Spot's placement kirk to a church in the big city's centre. The minister there was minister of the church I grew up in and, at a recent funeral, invited those of us who he met to come along anytime. As the law of the sods would have it, he was away, but the person taking the service I knew (far too small a pond this church thing is becoming!).

The welcome on the door was good - warm and friendly. And the service was good, but it being a visiting minister, how it would be on a 'normal' Sunday is hard to tell (even the organist was visiting!.

After the service, being the sort of person who needs to ensure they don't get blood in their caffeine system, and according to my custom and habit, I stayed for a cuppa. The tea was nice and there were busy tables in animated conversation, but I landed up sitting on my own. Someone did come over to talk, but had to head off to deal with treasurer stuff, so I finished my cuppa and left.

What I was struck by was how, as an outsider, yet someone who's fairly comfortable in church, I struggled there. Not with the worship, but the inclusion in fellowship. And, given the area this church is in, I was also surprised just how few people were there - it's not like it's holiday time.

But that wasn't the only church service I attended today - I also had the privilege to attend the ordination of a friend to the Scottish Episcopal church. There were three people being dome by the bishop, though a lot of robes for all concerned to wear - I felt roasting just watching. And LOADS of incense. In so many ways, I felt there was a bit of time travelling back to the pre-reformation church, but that's just me!

A couple of things really surprised me about the service. Firstly, the small number of people from New College who have studied and talked and journeyed with Shona. There's this candidates' association which is open to all training for a recognised ministry in any church who are studying at New College. One of its aims is to forge relationships of support with one another. I know some are unavailable for many reasons, but wonder if the 'lack' of support (to my eyes anyway) was due to it not being CofS?

The other thing which struck me was how un-freaked out I was not only by supporting Shona in her ordination, but seeing her in a clerical collar. It may be in the Kirk, the way ordination is done is so very different, that I didn't get that sense of 'oh poo, that'll be me soon', but I think it's also because I am much more 'okay' with it. I'll see if that's the case (God willing) later this year, when some Kirk candidates are ordained.

Definitely an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!