Monday 17 February 2014

Great oppoptunity I can't pass up

So, after weeks of waiting (or should that be months, as the process began last May) I finally received confirmation I will be serving my probation at Airside Kirk. To say I'm chuffed is an underestimate - there's loads I can get my teeth into there and I know I'll get on well with the minister there, who (obviously) will be my supervisor for probation.

The Kirk itself has a partnership with a village in Malawi (I know, doesn't everyone). And a group of them are going out at the end of June. My supervisor, Laura Roslin, asked if I'd like to join them. She called when I was knee deep in dissertation, but my gut instinct was 'yes.' There was genuinely no pressure to go, but what an opportunity. Besides, with Eve away for the beginning of July, I wouldn't be in able to begin probation till the beginning of August.

Before committing myself, I wanted to speak to Spot - whose reaction was "you're being given this opportunity for a reason - you have to go." Then I spoke to my Mum and she had almost an identical reaction. I know I sometimes need things painted in very big letters before I get the hint, but I think this was clear enough.

So, I am beginning probation in Malawi, walking alongside some from Airside Kirk and the partner church out there. What a brilliant way to begin and a chance I just couldn't miss out on. I'm even missing graduation for this, but a boring ceremony, with 2-300 other people, so I can get skelpted on the head with John Knox's breiks verses two weeks walking with fellow followers of Christ. And there's always the November/December graduations. Yes, I know, if anyone's going to do things the awkward/different way, it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!