Tuesday 25 February 2014

Mountain experiences - reflection on Matthew 17:1-9

As I prepare for Sunday's service at Quarry Kirk, I am focusing on Matthew 17:1-9, the Transfiguration and I was struck as I drafted a sermon how it parallels with (at least my) journey of faith. This is what I wrote towards the end:


I believe, the faith journey can be like what Peter experienced.

Sometimes being lead up a mountain, wondering why we're having to climb to high, so hard. Isn't there a better way, a path round the base of the mountain, rather than up it?

And a cloud descends on the mountain as we reach the top, so we're not even going to get the benefit of the view

But out of the cloud, in the midst of confusion and wondering where the path leads, God's voice comes from the cloud and tells us why we're there.

It might be to show who Jesus is to us – God's dear son who we are to listen to

Or it might be Jesus reassuring and comforting us because we are afraid.

But when we come down the mountain, we have experienced something of God we could not have at the bottom

Yet, it might only be after the passing of time that we really get what God was doing in our lives in that moment all along.
  Oh, yes. Now I'm wondering if it's the right sermon to deliver or if it's what I need to hear. Still, I have time to chew this over, let it 'stew down' and listen to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!