Monday 16 December 2013

My blessing and my curse

I am one of these people who call a spade a spade. I have a directness and, to be honest, can't be bothered with false platitudes or 'pretend' enquires after my health and well being, when someone's after something. If you want advice, a loan (you'll be lucky), an answer to a question or to criticise me, please cut to the chase. It'll save us all time and effort.

This does mean, that's how I often approach so many things - head on. It can get me into trouble and, because of it, I suspect I'm a bit like Marmite (you either love me or hate me). I know there are times when biting of the tongue or waiting is needed, though I know I don't always get that right.

Yet, often in ministry tack and diplomacy is required. I know I can do that when required - I did after all help lead a youth group in the past - the tack and diplomacy was required for my fellow leaders and the parents. It's striking that balance between building up good relationships, while being honest about what's going on the the relationship and who I am.

The thing I find a bit frustrating about those who struggle with directness (not only from me) is were I to talk to fellow Fifers or many people from the other side of the country, they wouldn't necessarily see it as a problem. Does show the difference a slightly different cultural context can make. Also, as a Christian I am called to follow Jesus. Last time I looked he didn't exactly mince his words, yet that seems to be what's expected of me.

So, when I think about it, my directness is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I cut through to the core of a matter and tell it straight. A curse because that doesn't always work for all people. Suppose I just have to accept the double-edged sword nature of this gift and use it wisely, so I don't cut myself yielding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!