Tuesday 19 November 2013

Forgotten skills

Today I spent working on my dissertation. Though the end of March, when it's due, seems so far away, this semester has flown in and I don't feel I've done nearly as much work on it as I should.

I'm using old skills, honed while studying for my last degree. Using parallels and scale rulers. It was strange going back to those basics and not using a sophisticated drawing application. Though I'm rusty - so the plans took me a bit longer than I would have liked - the skill was still there. Just needed a bit of use and it came flooding back. It was quicker than trying to learn that drawing application.

I also spent an hour or so taking some photos of an old church. Was that study for me? Yes, as I was looking at specific features of the building. Wasn't too much of a hardship, though. Spending time doing two of my favourite activities.

Tomorrow, I will be looking at the third church in the series. This one I've known for as long as I can remember, though I've never looked at it with the particular lens I will be tomorrow. At least the forecast is to be dry - just a pity it's so cold. This is why I am no longer a surveyor for a living. Again, once I left that behind, I never thought I'd really need to use that skill again - not formally, anyway.

These are not the only long lost (or not recognised) skills I've been using since beginning my studies/training. Funny how these things work out. Strange to think, though I'd avoided/not listened/ignored God's call on my life for so many years, he was training me all along.* I keep saying I want to be the best I can be. The way things are going this year, I think that's God's plan too.

* Still trying to work out exactly what my life-long fascination with church architecture has to do with being a minister. If everything else is a measure, that will all become apparent in time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!