Wednesday 12 December 2012

Reflections on being a theologian

Over the last week, I have reflecting on my (and others) comments regarding me not being a theologian. I suppose it came a bit left-of-field, giving me something to work through, understand and come to terms with.

Though this is not the beginning of that journey, it's the start of the thought a congregation and the community in which I will serve will see me like that. It just hadn't occurred to me people would look at a minister that way, as I've never seen any of my home church ministers or supervisors as 'professional theologians'. That's not to say they aren't, it's just not featured on my radar - ever I don't think.

Now I've realised people will see me as the 'professional' theologian where I serve, that then raises the question of how to encourage others? Theological insight cannot and should not start and end with the minister. Some of the deepest theological insight I have ever heard has come from those with the least theological education. But I have the education  to explain (really, there's some of this stuff makes my head hurt and my ears bleed) stuff about God, see the big picture and understand where others are coming from. Hopefully making me better placed to engage with the community I will serve and lead.

I think I've still got to think this all through and 'get used' to it. Maybe even experience it. Though I had been asked questions about God, because I was the approachable Christian a group of teenagers knew, that was before I began uni, though they did know I was going to be training to be a minister. Maybe some questions were addressed at me because of this, but there were sometimes up to 3 ministers (proper, ordained, doing it for real-type ministers) there, but it was still me they asked. But that's maybe part of my gift and call?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!