Tuesday 18 December 2012

Half a degree above

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a group of people going door to door. Given their age and demeanour, they didn't look like they were delivering take-away menus, and I suspected they were evangelising. Rather than ignore the door (or tell them I am a blood donor) I decided to engage with them.

Turned out they were Jehovah Wotnesses. So, on the divinity of Jesus, we were never going to agree, but we do have a lot of common ground. It was an interesting conversation and lasted nearly 30 minutes. (If I'm being really honest, part of the conversation going on for so long was to let a child they had with them hear an alternative view on God, Jesus, life, the universe and everything and them to see there are people who will respectfully engage with them, rather than ignore or worse. It might not make any difference, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Perhaps I was doing a bit of evangalising myself!).

Eventually, the conversation was coming to an end, I needed to go out and I was getting cold (I did invite them in). Shame, it was really enlightening.

Then, on Saturday I glanced out our living room window and noticed one of the gentlemen I'd been speaking to come up the drive. Thinging they'd come for a repeat visit, I waited the knock on the door, but it did not come and I saw the man leave. Impressively, he'd managed to put a 2 A4 page answer to a question I had through my letterbox without making a sound.

Who'd have thought half a divinity degree would be so useful?

1 comment:

  1. I think you've got yourself barred from the Kingdom Hall

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!