Sunday 23 December 2012

Presents at Christmas

I have volunteered to ask members of the congregation about the presents they have received, at the Christmas morning service. I volunteered as it's something I'm not sure is appropriate for an act of worship.

On one hand, people will have received gifts for Christmas, so to not acknowledge may be 'sweeping it under the carpet'. On the other hand, it places pressure on congregation members to bring something to church on Christmas morning. Though people may bring things which are very meaningful, there's just a wee bit of me things it's a bit showy-off. And how would anyone who didn't bring anything feel (or didn't get anything?).

Then, to make it all Christmas, I wonder how I engage with the congregation about their presents, without coming across as cynical, sarcastic or uninterested. It's a fine line, especially for someone like me. But I volunteered to do this, specifically because it is very challenging for me. Not sure how I'll tackle this, but hope I'll find the right balance and not be too cheesy about 'the best present is Jesus'. I'll definitely need God at my back for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!