Saturday 27 March 2010

Selection conference - the paper work

Given time is pressing on towards selection conference, I was starting to wonder when the additional information would come. This arrived yesterday.

From comments some of you have left on my blog (thank you), combined with the timetable I received when my place was confirmed, I wasn't surprised by much of the contents. The detail of the medical report was pretty surprising, though I'm not sure why. Many employers have this. Strangely, just over a year ago all the the questions asking about health issues and hospital treatment, I would have answered to the negative. Now I have to explain about my broken clavicle - joy! But that's just by the by.

I suppose I'm most concerned about which topic to choose for the group discussion I will lead. I have an idea of an item which I think is an important matter the Kirk should at least talk about, but I wonder what other peoples thoughts are. It's not I want the answers or to nick others ideas - far from it - but I want to look outwith my own "rant issues" and maybe start a dicussion on something really important. If not really important, at least a discussion I can present well and where there will be a scope for debate/discussion.

I must admit, and I'll have to be aware of it during this time, I do have a habit of playing devil's advocate a lot. It might not be my opinion, but I will put it forward to get people to think about it and challenge me. Unfortunately, in the wrong context, that can be taken the wrong way. I suppose it's positive I can be like that. As some of you have commented on here, the selectors are looking for me, not someone else.

Overall, though, I'm still pretty relaxed about it. I doubt I'll still be so relaxed on the day, but I'm farily certain neither will the other 9 people getting their head read!

4 comments:

  1. My advice on discussion topics is to keep it fairly safe and simple. If you choose a controversial topic people may be unwilling to participate for fear of their views reflecting badly, or them coming across as too dogmatic. Avoid theological jargon or too 'academic' a topic as well. Again people may not feel able to participate in something that they know little about.
    Participation is the key - they are looking for you to guide and moderate the discussion, keeping it on track and being able to draw opinions together at the end and 'conclude' it. Doesn't mean everyone has to agree, but you need to show you can deal with opinions and listen to what people are saying.
    I would also say to avoid playing devil's advocate - it can get complicated. By all means outline other positions and views, but present your own thoughts. You're less likely to get tripped up if someone else just happens to be an expert.
    Bear in mind that everyone will be keen to participate - in the hope of a bit of reciprocity when it is their turn. Make it easy for everyone to do so by choosing a topic that can be discussed without heated argument. Not everyone likes a heavy debate.
    When is your conference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the least successful part of our group's activity. We were all being too polite and not wanting to discuss things in a confrontational way; the topics were either controversial (sexuality) or passsionate or boring or whtever. Also, we were acutely aware of the factors we were being judged on and didn't want to appear judgemental, rude or ineffectual!

    The assessor was well aware of it and asked for our appraisal of our performance and others'. An honest assessment of weaknesses and strenghts did no harm.

    The topic itself is not important - but make sure it's something you are interested in, if not knowledgeable about. They are more interested in how you handle the discussion than anything, especially can you listen and how you deal with opposing views.

    Keep to your time as well - they don't like it if you over-run.

    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I concur. It's not really about the topic per se, but about how you chair a discussion, how you work in a team and how you open up something where all feel comfortable to discuss - creating an atmosphere conducive to discussion, if you like. How you interact; how you bring people into the discussion; how you listen; what sort of environment you create.... Really, you could be discussing the problems of moths eating the sanctuary carpet and ethical solutions for getting rid of them, through to liturgical dance: what are the best moves? It has very little to do with the topic you choose at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Guys...
    So, to sum up, it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it. :-)
    PS My conference is 30 April to 1 May. Less than 5 weeks to go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!