Monday 8 March 2010

It all came together.

Yesterday's service went really well. At the first service, there were no children, unfortunately. I tried doing the children's address with the congregation and it just wasn't working. I needed children to come up with various answers to why trees look dead in winter. A bit too obvious for adults. So, I just moved on with the rest of the service.

I feel I paced myself well. I didn't go too fast or slow and definitely felt much more relaxed, but not in a complacent way, than when I preached the sermon at my home churches three weeks ago. That's a combination of being in churches, rather than halls, so I knew where I was going to stand etc. It's not I object to worship in non-church buildings; after all, the church is the people. No, I need to get used to being that little bit more exposed. There's no lectern or pulpit to stand behind. I know it's a strange one and I need to be aware of, but moving on with yesterday's service...

At my "proper" home church, the children's address went really well. The children (about 20 varying in age from 2-12 years old) responded to me and my questions. One of the children made "a bird and the bees" type comment. I answered his comment without putting him down, if that makes sense, and moved onto another section of the children within about 5 seconds. That was a can of worms I didn't want opened! After the service my minister comments how impressed she was at me going from a picture of a tree in winter to the parable of a fig tree. Again, I felt it came together well, but it's reassuring to hear that from others, especially an experienced minister as my one is.

After the service, many people thanked me, though it was pretty much "nice service" or "well done". They are positive comments, but not very constructive, unfortunately. One comment which did stand out for me was from a member at the first service. "Thanks for that, Mrs G, your sermon really spoke to me and has left me with a lot to think about". She didn't expand and I didn't ask, but I thought perhaps God knew that one person needed to hear some of what I had to say. More likely, God directed me to say what I did in order the sermon spoke to that person the way He needed it to.

If only one person is touched that way I have helped do God's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!