Sunday 14 March 2010

Don't just talk to the children

The children's address today was about the prodigal son. I was at a loss for an idea until yesterday afternoon, when my hubbie suggested I started with "are you pleased to see me?". Then, I add on other statements, making the prospect of them being pleased to see me less and less appealing.

Giving the reaction of the children, the address went well. They interacted with me, answered my questions, almost laughed at my jokes and asked their own questions. All very encouraging.

After the service, the session clerk came to me, a bit worried. He hoped I wouldn't be offended by what he had to say. This had me a little concerned, as it takes a lot to offend me. Apparently, I'm speaking a little too fast during the children's address, so those with hearing issues are slightly struggling. I thanked him for letting me know. How am I going to know I'm not getting the message to all the congregation if no-one tells me?

I must remember, though I'm talking with the children, the children's address forms part of the service so it is important everyone can hear this. I will bear this feedback in mind for next time.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a common 'fault' when we start out...I was also told I spoke too fast, especially when speaking to the children...think probably because children's talks are not my comfort zone and I wanted it to be over!! The best advice I got was after a prayer of intercession when a minister who had been in the congregation came up to me after the service and told me my prayer was wonderful but that I shouldn't be afraid of silence... what he meant was slowing down... pausing for my words to sink in... allowing people to be prayerful with me. I took his advice to heart and people often comment now on my prayers and my delivery and when they do I thank that minister for his honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, in some ways Danny, you've hit the nail on the head - the fear of silence. It never ceases to amaze me how 10s seems to last an eternity, yet isn't really that long at all.
    Like you, I am grateful for the honesty I received from the session clerk and will take it to heart.

    We learn by our mistakes, not our successes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!