Sunday 7 February 2010

7th February 2010 sermon critique.

As I mentioned here, I was leading worship with my minister at both my home church and the linkage church. It could be argued I drew the short straw, as I wrote and preached the sermon.

The sermon was based on Isaiah 6:1-8 and Luke 5:1-11 and the general theme for the service was call. God calling Isaiah and the first disciples, but also all followers of Christ being called to follow and show the Good News to the world.

As the first disciples Jesus called were fishermen, I picked up on nets as a bit of a theme in my sermon. How our nets of self-doubt and responsibility can hold us back from following God's calling, but also how our interconnected lives can spread God's love like a net radiating out from us.

I feel it was a good sermon. My points were clear and I brought in stories the congregation could relate to. It also came together well, and that isn't just me saying that, I had a couple of good bits of feedback which told me that.

But, I was really nervous. More nervous than I have been when I've preached at my last placement. I think that's a combination of familiarity - will they just see "wee Mrs Gerbil"? - and my concern I would be speaking the words God needed the two congregations to hear.

My nerves weren't helped by either of the services being held in a traditional worship setting. At the linkage church, the service was in the village hall. I was expecting this, but thought there may have been a lectern to stand behind. No such luck. I held my notes and threw them in the air twice! Managed to catch them both times thankfully!

At my home church, the brand new boiler (that is another story), which heats the main worship area, wasn't working, so the service was in the hall. At least the table was higher and there was a table-top lectern which I could put my notes on! Having said that, I had been swithering whether or not to use the pulpit at my home church -neither of my ministers tend to use it as it's very high. That wasn't something I had to think about.

Being in the hall meant the congregation were much closer and, to be honest, does make for a more intimate service. It also means I could feel - really feel - the congregation listening to me. That's not a bad thing, I'm just not used to it!

I like having a lectern or pulpit for preaching the sermon. It gives me somewhere to put my notes, bible etc and my hands. I always wonder what to do with my hands.

During both services, but more so at my home church, there was a bit of my sermon where I could feel myself getting quite emotional. I didn't let it get in the way, and I had thought when I wrote it that part may have caught me. As my hubbie said, at least it shows I care. From a couple of the comments I received about that particular bit, (coincidentally, one from each church) I think they were surprised I would be like that. What a lot of people don't realise is I'm a big softy and really quite shy. Just shows you, you can know someone for years, but not really know them at all.

After the service, I received much positive feedback, even from people who generally don't comment. Even my ministers where impressed. And not all the comments were "nice sermon", there were specifics, such as "I liked how you linked all the themes together in the end" or "I really appreciated the inclusiveness of what you said". Knowing the congregations, I know someone would pick me up if they disagreed or felt my presentation was poor.

I'm just amazed I had this talent I didn't even know I had until about this time last year. When God calls He gives those He calls the skills to do what He has called them to do. He certainly has done that with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!