Tuesday 21 April 2009

Gentleness

Last night, I was at bible study at my home church for the first time since the crash and my local review. The group are still exploring the Fruits of the Spirit and this week we were exploring gentleness. The bible passage we based the study on was 1st Thessalonians 2:1-12 (I tend to use the Good News bible, but Biblegateway doesn't have that translation, but that's just by-the-by).

I've missed a couple of studies as I haven't been out and about too much for 8 weeks. Anyway, the bible passage really spoke to me. Some parts felt as though they were speaking directly to me. Telling me I am doing God's work; I am called to spread the Good News. The parts of the passage that particularly spoke (I am quoting from Good News now) were:

"And even though there was much opposition, our God gave us courage to tell you the Good News that comes from him". I know, in context, that wasn't what Paul was getting at, but I felt that part of the passage was a sign to me that God has given me the courage to follow his call for me. No matter what opposition I encounter, he is always with me and will help me spread his Good News.

"Instead, we always speak as God wants us to, because he has judged us worthy to be entrusted with the Good News". Yes, he's entrusted me with the Good News. How wonderful and amazing it that? Also pretty scary - wasn't anyone else avaliable ;-)

Of all the bible studies I have ever been to, this was the one I needed. The passage gave me a reassurance. As I've blogged before, I know my call is the right path, but this passage felt as though God was giving that extra bit of reassurance and affirmation while I'm in limbo awaiting my next co-ordinated field assessment placement.

That said, I think the passage was also trying to tell me I need to be a little more gentle. Maybe that's what I need to learn in my next placement? Somehow, I think it might just be...

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it so cool when God speaks to us in this way? That's really heartening to get such a strong affirmation of what you are doing.

    However, if I were you, I'd be getting used to reading the NRSV. The GNB is rather frowned upon in academia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If (or should I be saying when) I enter academia, I'll have to get used to reading a range of bibles, me thinks. I just use GNB out of habit and familiarity. Besides, the GNB I use all the time was given to me by my uncle 26 years ago, when I was 8. It's like a pair of comfie baffies...

    Oh, and yes, it's great when God speaks in this way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!