Thursday 16 April 2009

Local review - update

Well, the answer is....


I've had my CFA extended by 6 months and I'm to do it at another church, with another co-ordinator. I must admit, I wasn't especially surprised nor disappointed. I felt with the time I'd lost out on between the CFA date being after 5 months rather than 6, due to starting my extended review late, my supervisor being off sick for 6 (or was it 7) weeks and then me being unavailable following the crash and operation, there was some things I hadn't covered and I hadn't had the opportunity to demonstrate I'd learnt from some experiences (especially the fall-out from January's fellowship meeting).

When my supervisor returned from being off sick, I had mentioned delaying the date of the local review, to take this into account. My supervisor didn't think that was necessary as he thought we'd covered most things. I also discussed delaying post crash and, again, he didn't think it was necessary. Well, looks like I hadn't covered everything. If I had, I wouldn't have thought I'd need an extension (maybe a rejection, but not extension!!!).

Okay, so if it really is my calling to be a minister of word and sacrament (which I firmly still feel called to), I won't be able to being training until next year at least. That said, I also think it will work out for the best. I have learnt from my first placement. I know I didn't look at myself, and my call, as much as I should have. I will be able to do so at my next placement.

God is with me. I really know that. In many ways I feel He's given me this opportunity because I am following His calling.

3 comments:

  1. Mixed blessings I suppose but perhaps a little frustrating nevertheless.
    It sounds as though you have a lot of positives in the sense that you now know areas where you need to work on. Another big positive is that your sense of call hasn't diminished.
    Being more self-aware and developing more reflective skills is a good thing. Particularly so because the 'in-training' assessment is changing (yet again) to focus more on personal development, which essentially means greater self-awareness. Having the chance to develop those skills now (and being aware that you need to develop them more) will stand you in good stead.
    I completely understand just wanting to get on with it though. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. But it's amazing looking back how quickly the time has gone.
    Use the extra time wisely, but I'm sure you will.
    Best wishes.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Mixed blessings as John said - but not a toal disaster! I was beginning to think bad thoughts about how it had gone! At least you have not been rejected, and as John says - lots of positives. You know now what needs to be done, and perhaps a new placement will give you a new lease of life after your accident.

    I did feel for you when your supervisor went off ill, as that really curtails what you can do - it's so frustrating.This experience can only work to your benefit - 6 months will go in a flash, and you will be better prepared for the rigours of the selection conference. Also, you will be better health-wise and should be well recovered from your injuries.

    Frustrating that you will start training a year later, but it could very well turn out to be a huge blessing. No doubt you will learn loads in a new placement.

    Good luck, and God be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John and CB. I really am looking at the positives. I know (I think!) what I need to do. Also, it will give me experience of another church outwith my home one, which can't be a bad thing.

    If God's with me, who can be against me?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!