Tuesday 3 March 2009

I take it back

I had a meeting with my supervisor visor yesterday afternoon. It was a bit of a palaver getting there - I can't currently drive and it would have been a bit of a hassle and painful getting a bus. Ne'er mind, it got me out of the house!!!

Anyway, my supervisor was really concerned and supportive. I was to preach this Sunday (8th March), but as I'm having my operation tomorrow, that would be too soon. The reader-in-training at my placement church the following Sunday (15th) and my supervisor had ask him if he'd swap with me. We discussed any problems I may have doing the sermon as a result of my operation - standing for long periods being potentially the main one. As I told him, I won't really know until after the operation.

In terms of my CFA, I have covered most of the things we agreed and 121 needs. I had said I'd like to visit my placement church's organisations, but with my supervisor and I both being ill that hasn't been possible. He didn't seem too concerned about that - I have been involved in the similar organisations in my home church. Fair enough - I had thought it would be useful to visit the organisations as every church will have a slightly different take on them. I'm sure, if I am eventually selected, I will have ample opportunity to explore that part of the church's work.

My supervisor brought up the way I reacted at the fellowship meeting in January. He asked a few questions about how I'd reflected on what he'd told me. I told him I thought his comments were perfectly fair. I know I need to think more carefully how I react and come across. I also need to remember I don't know others backgrounds so shouldn't appear to be jumping to conclusions about their attitudes.

I think (hope) he was asking the questions to see if I had learnt from the experience. Also, to see if I had developed self-awareness in that regard. The fellowship meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month. Unfortunately, the way it has worked out I will not be able to attend another before my local review and "prove" I really have learnt. I hope this doesn't count against me too much.

So, looking back at how annoyed I was with my supervisor, I now take it back. I see he was trying to help me. I don't know if he perceives me as having ministerial potential. That said, given it primarily appears to be my reaction at January's fellowship meeting that he keeps coming back to, hopefully he doesn't think I don't. I'll find out when I get a copy of his report. Fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. Things seem to be looking up in your placement! Good news! Hope all goes well tomorrow for your operation. Prayers ascend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the ops went well... hope you both recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!