Thursday 30 December 2010

Applied

I applied for my university place yesterday. Officially the closing date is 15 January, but I wanted it done and dusted in plenty time. I completed most of the online form last week and was just waiting on my referee completing their section. They did so on Tuesday, so I applied.

I’ve applied to Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Edinburgh is definitely my first choice – from what I have heard and read, it has the best reputation. Also I can get a lift in with Spot, as will still be working in Edinburgh. That’ll be a cost saving – one commute cost rather than two. As I have been commuting to Edinburgh for 10 years, I’m already used to it. Taking the bus to St. Andrews, although doable, adds more expense onto Spot’s budget (as sole bread winner) and will make my commutes longer than into Edinburgh. St. Andrews is definitely my fall back position.

I really hope Edinburgh grants me a place. I have worked hard with my distance learning courses to enhance my application. I also now know there are ministry candidates studying at Edinburgh who hadn’t been in formal education for longer than I have been, but they hadn’t had to acquire 40 credits to obtain their place. It would seem rather unfair, under the circumstances, if I wasn’t granted a place. Also, I have been accepted as a ministry candidate. If I had applied last year, I would have been applying speculatively. I hope (and pray) that should also help get a place at Edinburgh.

One thing I am sure of though. I will get a university place for 2011 start. Wherever that may be (Edinburgh – please), I know I will be there as that is where God wants and needs me to be. After all, I will be studying divinity to degree level because it is required of me. That said, I have enjoyed the distance learning courses and I have said for years I would like to go back to uni. I won’t make the same mistakes I did first time round, though they were fun at the time!

I wonder if I should let Prof David Fergusson (principle of New College) know I have applied? I’m sure when I met him in August he mentioned to let him know when I had applied. I suppose there’s no harm and it may even help. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

1 comment:

  1. All good wishes in your applications. I was in the same position as you way back in 1988 and well remember the tension and the excitement (as well as the joy.) Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!